Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Introduction

Dear 7th grade families,

I would like to introduce myself to you as your child’s math teacher this year and tell you a little bit about how math will be structured this year. First, a bit about me: I have taught Spanish and Math Seminar for three years at the Little Red Schoolhouse in New York City. I have also taught math-reasoning course at the Center for Talented Youth through Johns Hopkins University and at the National Young Scholars Program. I am looking forward being at Berkeley Montessori School and getting to know all of you in the near future!

This will be an exciting class, and your child will be engaging in math in a variety of ways. I have the highest of expectations of each student, because I believe that all students are capable of learning math. The curriculum I will mostly draw from is called The Connected Mathematics Project. This curriculum is very rich in connections, and is organized around interesting problem settings. Some of the mathematical content goals that we will explore include Number, Geometry, Measurement, Algebra, Statistics and Probability.

Our first unit is called Variables and Pattern, which is an introduction to algebra, specifically looking at variables, tables, graphs, and how to use symbols as representations.

The goals for the unit include:

- Identify variables in situation
- Recognize situations in which changes in variables are related in useful patterns
- Describe patterns of change shown in words, tables, and graphs
- Construct tables and graphs to display relationships between variables
- Observe how a change in the relationship between two variables affects the table, graph, and equation
- Use algebraic symbols to write equations relating variables
- Use tables, graphs, and equations to solve problems
- Use graphing calculators to construct tables and graphs of relationships between variables and to answer questions about these variables


Please refer to the blog www. http://bmsmath7.blogspot.com/ for any ongoing announcements and for daily assignments. Should you have any questions feel free to email me at Skanchwala@bmsonline.org or call me at BMS, extension 257.



I look forward to a great year!

Sincerely,
Sheila Kanchwala
BMS Middle School Math Teacher

No comments: